Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Favorite Movie Moments


Once again I've been inspired by a fellow blogger to make a list. What follows is a list of my five favorite movie moments. It would be far more accurate to say this is simply a list of movie moments that I really like. I didn't spend nearly enough time considering all the great moments in all the great movies I've seen. That would have taken a couple days solid and you people just don't pay me enough for that. Anyway, here goes, in no particular order...

1. Mr. Orange unloads a clip into Mr. Blonde (Reservoir Dogs)
After slicing the cop's face to pieces and even cutting off his ear Mr. Blonde was about to set the cop ablaze. Watching this all go down you're filled with anger and hatred, disgust and sadness, but not so much that you're not enjoying "Stuck in the Middle with You" playing in the background. And suddenly Mr. Orange wakes up and fires away until his gun goes click, and then even makes it go click a couple more times just for good measure. Nice.

2. "My friends, you bow to no one" (The Return of the King)
So basically the Hobbits just saved the world and they're trying to pay their respects to the new king Aragorn. He instead turns the table and bows to them, along with everyone there, which includes like 14 different races of men. You kind of need to really understand Middle Earth to know how cool that was. Take my word for it, it was cool.

3. Sheriff throws his coffee mug at Lebowski's face (The Big Lebowski)
He threw his mug, that he was drinking out of, with stuff in it, at his face. Hilarious.

4. Screaming into the infinite abyss (Garden State)
Largeman is feeling the affects of not taking his medication, feelings and emotions. They've just visited with people that really savored love and adventure and all these great things that were so much bigger than themselves; all these things that Largeman has been completely numb to most of his life. He's finally waking up and acts on an urge and climbs atop some broken down earth mover and screams at the top of his lungs into the bottomless cavern. But it's when he's joined by his friends that really gets me. Drenched in rain, wearing trashbags, screaming into a hole, with Simon and Garfunkel playing loudly. Beautiful.

5. Jack Black sings Let's Get it On (High Fidelity)
Completely unexpected. And really freakin good. I don't really like night clubs, and I sure don't like dancing, but everytime I watch that I have the urge to be there, dancing.

So there's that. Agree or disagree?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BAM! There's not a dud among the five my friend. Except for Garden State, which I like, every one of those movies is on my ol' top 100 list and every moment you chose is golden. LOTR almost has so many to choose from that I couldn't make the pick, but that is indeed a special moment. Hopefully a few more people will pick up this ball and run with it, as it's just so much fun.

And how long before Shawshank (the movie that nobody doesn't like) Redemption gets a nod?

Cameron said...

well i haven't seen reservoir dogs, which according to my friends is just SHOCKING. i haven't seen the big lebowski and i think i'm the only person in the world who hated garden state.

but i totally agree on the other two!!!