Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pitchers and Catchers Report Today

Dusty Baker officially takes the reigns of my Cincinnati Reds today as catchers and pitchers report to training camp today down in Sarasota. In case you hadn't heard, I love the Reds, love 'em more than any sports team aside from the UK basketball team. Since this has been one of the most disappointing/frustrating/painful basketball seasons of my life, I'm looking forward to the baseball season more than ever.

I've been a fan since I was a kid. Back when they were good, back when Chris Sabo was cool and Barry Larkin was alive. Way back before the Yankees and the Red Sox were supporting terrorists and oil companies to fund their championships.

There's plenty to look forward to this year though. We're simply busting with young talent. Bailey, Votto, Keppinger, Hopper, Phillips... all great players that will bring me great joy, until the big spenders notice them, buy their soul and rob me of my happiness. Sure our new coach has been going downhill the last few years, but he was coaching the Cubs, nobody can blame him.

Alright, since blogs are most successful when they include controversial statements, questions to commentors, or lists, I'll end my first post with a list. These are my predictions for the 2008 Cincinnati Reds' Season:


- Bronson Arroyo will throw 3 no-hitters and have an album go platinum

- Ryan Freel will make up 3 of the top 10 web gems every night (on average)

- The Reds will sweep the Bosox at home in June

- The Reds will sweep the Yankees in the Bronx a week after that

- Homer Bailey will win the Cy Young award and wipe out all crime in the city of Cincinnati

- Adam Dunn will hit 90 homeruns and strike out only twice (by umpires with huge strike zones)

- Griffey won't get injured (probably the most absurd claim on the list)

- Having both been swept by the Reds, the Sox and the Yanks will work together to purchase the entire Reds organization, shut down Great American Ball Park and auction off the players to the highest bidders

No comments: